Veterans Day Facts and Information
Veterans Day Facts
WHEN IS VETERANS DAY?
- Veterans Day happens on November 11 yearly in the US.
- In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower formally modified the title of the vacation from Armistice Day to Veterans Day.
- In 1968, the Uniform Holidays Invoice was handed by Congress, which moved the celebration of Veterans Day to the fourth Monday in October. The legislation went into impact in 1971, however in 1975 President Gerald Ford returned Veterans Day to November 11, as a result of essential historic significance of the date.
- Nice Britain, France, Australia and Canada additionally commemorate the veterans of World Warfare I and World Warfare II on or close to November 11th: Canada has Remembrance Day, whereas Britain has Remembrance Sunday (the second Sunday of November).
- In Europe, Nice Britain and the Commonwealth international locations it is not uncommon to watch two minutes of silence at 11 a.m. each November 11.
Veterans Day originated as “Armistice Day” on Nov. 11, 1919, the primary anniversary of the tip of World Warfare I. Congress handed a decision in 1926 for an annual observance, and Nov. 11 turned a nationwide vacation starting in 1938. Not like Memorial Day, Veterans Day pays tribute to all American veterans—residing or lifeless—however particularly offers due to residing veterans who served their nation honorably throughout struggle or peacetime.
The army women and men who serve and shield the U.S. come from all walks of life; they’re dad and mom, youngsters, grandparents, buddies, neighbors and coworkers, and are an essential a part of their communities. Listed below are some information concerning the veteran inhabitants of the US:
- 1 million residing veterans served throughout not less than one struggle.
- 2 million veterans served in peacetime.
- 2 million veterans are girls.
- 7 million veterans served through the Vietnam Warfare.
- 5 million veterans served through the Persian Gulf Warfare.
- Of the 16 million People who served throughout World Warfare II, about 558,000 are nonetheless alive.
- 2 million veterans served through the Korean Warfare.
- 6 million veterans served in peacetime.
- As of 2014, 2.9 million veterans obtained compensation for service-connected disabilities.
- As of 2014, three states have greater than 1 million veterans amongst their inhabitants: California (1.eight million), Florida (1.6 million) and Texas (1.7 million).
- The VA well being care system had 54 hospitals in 1930, since then it has expanded to incorporate 171 medical facilities; greater than 350 outpatient, group, and outreach clinics; 126 nursing dwelling care items; and 35 live-in care amenities for injured or disabled vets.
Veterans Day Information
Veteran’s Day, November 11th of every 12 months, is a federal vacation in the US to honor all those that have served within the U.S. army. November 11th marks the day that the foremost fight in World Warfare I ended. In 1919, President Woodrow Wilson named November 11th Armistice Day. In 1938, November 11th turned a authorized vacation with the title Armistice Day. The primary nationwide vacation to have a good time Veterans Day was held in 1947. In 1954, Armistice Day legally turned Veterans Day.
Attention-grabbing Veteran’s Day Information:
- Veterans Day falls on the identical day as Remembrance Day and Armistice Day in different international locations.
- World Warfare I formally ended on November 11th, on the 11th hour. Additionally it is the 11th month.
- Initially, when generally known as Armistice Day, it was meant to honor those that died in World Warfare I, however when it was amended within the early 1940s, it was modified to honor all of the veterans who’ve served within the U.S. army.
Veterans Day is typically confused with Memorial Day, nevertheless Memorial Day honors those that died whereas serving within the army and Veterans Day honors all those that have served within the U.S. army, alive and deceased.
- Raymond Weeks, a World Warfare II veteran from Alabama, got here up with the thought in 1945 to honor all veterans on November 11th, not simply those who had misplaced their lives in World Warfare I. Raymond Weeks was given the Presidential Citizenship Medal from Ronald Reagan in 1982. Raymond Weeks led the celebration from 1947 till 1985 when he died.
- In 1971, Veterans Day was moved to be the fourth Monday in October. In 1978 it went again to being November 11th.
- In 1954 the Nationwide Veterans Award was created, additionally in Alabama.
- Veterans Day, celebrated on November 11th, is each a state and federal vacation in the US.
- Annually on Veterans Day there’s a ceremony held in Arlington Cemetery to honor all who’ve died in struggle.
There are roughly 24 million veterans residing in the present day.
- There have been roughly 400,000 members of the US army killed throughout World Warfare II.
- On Veterans Day there are a selection of parades held throughout the US, in addition to many speeches given.
In 1921, on November 11th, an American soldier was buried at Arlington Cemetery. His id was unknown and as such, his grave-site known as the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. On November 11th a wreath is laid on the grave throughout a ceremony. It’s laid by the president or by a high-ranking member of the federal government.
- In 2011 it was estimated that roughly eight.1% of veterans in the US are girls.
Roughly 35% of the veterans residing in the present day served in the US army within the Vietnam Warfare.
On common, those that have served within the army in the US, together with women and men, earn greater than those that haven’t served. There may be not imagined to be an apostrophe in Veterans Day. Nonetheless, some spell it Veteran’s Day or Veterans’ Day.
On Veterans Day, People honor all residing army veterans, together with the numerous working mothers who’re veterans of army service in addition to those that gave their lives for his or her nation.
Listed below are another Veterans Day information you might not know.
How Veterans Day Started
Veterans Day is at all times noticed on November 11th with speeches and parades throughout the US. When the vacation first started although it had a distinct title which was Armistice Day. Right here is how the day has progressed over time:
- It was first celebrated on November 11, 1919, which was the primary anniversary of the tip of World Warfare I.
- In 1926, Congress handed a decision for an annual observance.
- In 1938, November 11th turned a nationwide vacation.
- In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed laws altering the title to Veterans Day as a way to honor veterans of all American wars. The day is to honor those that have died preventing in addition to those that survived.
- In 1968, the Uniform Holidays Invoice was handed by Congress, which moved Veterans Day to the fourth Monday in October. The legislation went into impact in 1971 however reverted again to November 11th in 1975 by President Ford due to the essential historic significance the date held.
Veterans by the Numbers
There have been 19.three million army veterans within the U.S. in 2014. Of these:
- 6 million had been feminine
- four % had been African American.
- 9 % had been non-Hispanic white
- 1 % had been Hispanic
- four million had been 65 and older
- 7 million had been youthful than 35
Veterans by the Warfare
Thirty-five % of all residing veterans served through the Vietnam Warfare. In 2009, there have been:
- zero million Vietnam-era veterans. (1964-1975)
- 5 million Gulf Warfare veterans. (August 1990 to current)
- 1 million World Warfare II veterans. (1941-1945)
- zero million veterans of the Korean Warfare. (1950-1953)
- 62,544 residing veterans who served through the Vietnam Warfare and each intervals of the Gulf Warfare (August 1990 to August 2001 and September 2001 or later).
- four million who served in peacetime solely.
Veterans within the Work Drive
7.four million veterans had been within the civilian labor drive in 2014 and seven.zero million of them had been employed.
Girls veterans earned $31,810 in 2014, greater than the $21,804 earned by feminine civilians with no army expertise.
Male veterans earned $37,307 in 2014, greater than the $32,433 earned by male civilians with no army service.
9.2 % of the U.S. non-farm corporations had been owned by veterans. Veteran-owned corporations comprised an estimated 2.5 million of the 27.6 million non-farm companies nationwide in 2012.
Veterans’ Revenue, Training, and Incapacity
27.5 % of veterans who had been 25 and older held not less than a bachelor’s diploma in comparison with 30.three % non-veterans.
three.eight million veterans suffered from a “service-connected incapacity” in 2014. This kind of incapacity is when a soldier will get injured or aggravates an harm whereas on obligation or suffered from a illness that leads to a incapacity.
Veterans Extra Prone to Vote
14.7 million veterans voted within the 2012 presidential election. That is 70 % of all veterans, in contrast with 60.9 % of non-veterans.
11.5 million veterans voted within the 2006 congressional election. That is 54 % of all veterans, in contrast with solely 41 % of civilians with no army service.
Find out how to Say Thank You to a Veteran on Veteran’s Day
“Thanks in your service.”
“Thanks for stepping up when others took a step again.”
“Thanks for delaying your private plans in order that you could possibly serve our nation.”
“Thanks for sacrificing a lot like being away out of your family and friends in order that you could possibly maintain them and the remainder of us protected from hurt.”
“Thanks for all you’ve got accomplished and for what you proceed to do. We’re all safer due to your actions.”